.

Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Jury Duty...Again and Again

 January 12th of 2012
I had to report for jury duty for Baltimore County. 
The beginning of February of this year, 
I received a summons again to do my civic duty.
I had to report on 3/26.
If you fill the requirement of one day/one trial
you aren't supposed
to be called for 3 years...but 3 years one month???

Come on!
In the past 15 years, I have been called 4 times and every time,
my call in number is a number that has to report to the courthouse.


  I have been asking folks who also live in Baltimore County
how often they have been called.  Only one I asked has had to report
in the last 3 years. 
The rest have answered  5 years, 10 years, 30 years, never. 


 I did a bit of research and found 100,000 people a year are
called as jurors in Baltimore County. 
There are over 950,000 people living in Baltimore County. 
I think that maybe some of those other folks
should be given a chance to do their civic duty also. 
(I do realize that some are children and some over 70)

It can't be possible that the rest of the population
are not US citizens or felons.

As a self employed person, and the nature of my business,
one day is not a hardship. 
But a trial of a week or more certainly could be. 

I did get chosen as an alternate juror for a civil case this time.
As an alternate, I only had to be there one day.
The rest of the chosen jurors had to return for a second day. 

So...Baltimore County...It's time to find all those other folks
who haven't had a turn at being called for jury duty for years or ever,
and give them a chance to do their civic duty also.

I'm beginning to feel discriminated against.



1 comment:

  1. Aww, sorry this keeps happening, Pat. My hubby was called up recently. Had to keep calling every day to see if he had to come in. Stressful!

    ReplyDelete