.

Monday, January 30, 2012

Am I On Candid Camera?

roundletters

Sunday morning I was at the local grocery store when it opened. Our pantry was like Old Mother Hubbard's Cupboard...and when she got there the cupboard was bare. I had run out of coffee earlier in the week and used the last of the tea on Saturday. A dribble of milk was left in the bottle and Mom Mom had no Cheerios for the D boy, who would be expecting them when he arrived here Monday. (Actually, I need to have some in a baggie when I pick him up for my Mom Mom and Dylan day. As soon as his feet hit the floor, he asks me for cheerios)

I decide to get the fixings for pot roast to cook in the crockpot as I needed to spend some time in the studio to get orders ready to ship out. I traveled up the fruit and vegetable aisle, picking up red skinned potatoes, carrots and onions to go in with the pot roast. Also grabbed some bananas and clementines (now called Smiles). Started along the meat section and parked my cart against a soda display in the center of the aisle so I could reach around an employee who was putting out new packages of beef. Found a nice roast, grabbed a little white plastic bag and tucked the meat into the bag, turned around and my cart is gone. My brain goes...maybe I didn't leave it by the soda display...maybe it was by the TastyCake display a bit farther down the row of center aisle setups. Nope, wasn't there either. I started to walk round and round, peeking down close by aisles, in case it just rolled away...like maybe the floor went a little bit down hill.

And then, the idea pops into my head that either I'm losing what little is left of my mind, or that I'm being filmed running around like goof looking like, "Oh where, oh where can my grocery cart be?"

I got this idea from a website (found on Pinterest) where pictures are being posted of visitors who go to Walmart called Peopleofwalmart.com which makes one know there are lurkers with cameras out there and you never know where you might be filmed or photographed. This website is full of photos of "what the heck were you thinking going out in public like that?" So I'm thanking my lucky stars that I actually put on a bit of makeup and calmed down the bed hair before running to the grocery store. If it happens at Walmart, it could happen at Mars. I quickly look around to see if anyone is watching me, hiding a camera under their coat. I am waiting for a person to walk up to me and say, "Smile..." you know, the Candid Camera line.
But all I see is an older man (yes older than me), pushing a cart towards me with a sheepish look on his face and saying, "I think I may have your cart! I had bananas in mine too."

And one more thing folks. Next time you go to Walmart, please remember to put on underwear 'cuz you never know who is sneaking up behind you ready to snap that money shot!




7 comments:

  1. LOL! Oh, Pat! I feel badly you had to go through that and worry! Hey, I'm from Brooklyn and my FIRST thoughts wouldn't be: "Oh, did I leave my cart over there?" or, "Oh, is this some kind of Candid Camera thing??" Good ole Gloria would say: "What the F*ck!! Someone took my damn cart!!!!!!!!!!!" So it's good that you are a calm person and didn't blow things out of proportion, as I would have done. :)
    Best,
    Gloria
    P.S. And you'd BETTER have Cheerios for that adorable little Mister D, otherwise you will have ME to contend with!! (Well, I DID warn you I'm from Bklyn...)
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say that has happened to me before. that is why I always have my purse on my arm and not in my cart.
    I have seen the people of walmart and I have to wonder if it is made up. I know in this area all the kids go in their pjs I always feel like a mom who wants to say get dressed in the morning.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. How funny. I can picture you in this situation. That camera idea is downright scary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how funny! I would be panicking because I leave my purse in the bottom of the basket!I would think the same thing about Candid Camera or Punk'd or something! Glad you got it back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha! Wish I was a fly on the wall. I can just see your face!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  6. hahahaha I always wear my undies to Wal Mart wouldn't want to give some one a heart attach.
    Too funny I could just picture you walking around the isles thinking you were being filmed. I know that pretty smile was flashing. haha
    Now you are making me wish I had put a roast on for today. Yummy sounds good.
    Hope you are having a great weekend
    Love
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  7. How I had to laugh at the thought of you looking for your cart..mind you only about 3/4 weeks ago a similar thing happened to my niece in a supermarket over here.....but she never did get her one back !!!
    love Sybil x

    ReplyDelete