.

Sunday, April 25, 2010

I think I can...I think I can?


Haven't posted in almost a week. I've been working on setting up a new website. We've had a very basic website for years, but never sold from it. Lately we have been using it as a way of sending people to the selling venues where we have our products listed for sale. We decided we needed to put up a website where we could actually sell our products. I now know why it costs so much to have someone build a website for you. It takes sooo much time. Of course, if I actually knew what I was doing, it might go more quickly. So between painting and shipping orders, I've been finding out the different options I have for the website and how it all works.

The first thing I realized was that all my pictures I have used for etsy and other selling venues needed to be resized...not just once but twice. I needed a thumbnail size and and larger size for a more detailed view of each item. But not as large as the ones I already have stored. All the pictures I had been using were way too big. I am learning more about keywords, and meta tags and meta titles. I have discovered how to add attributes and drop down boxes for colors and sizes and more. We needed to upgrade the shopping cart that came with the hosting package. Thank goodness Lou was able to work that out, I don' think I could have done it. So now the shopping cart on the site has a shipping calculator and customers will be automatically charged shipping for their orders based on weight and destination.

I've gotten many items listed on the website and have many more to add but if you'd like to take a peek now you can visit www.countryworkshop.net I'm hoping, down the line, to maybe get other artists work displayed for sale on the site.

Now going to watch "America...The Story of Us" on the History Channel.


3 comments:

  1. Pat, You site looks wonderful. Good Luck to you.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you ... anxious to see your final creation!

    IF EVER I attempted to create a website, we'd be in divorce court for sure.

    Really crummy wet week until Thursday here ...
    have a beautiful week.

    TTFN ~ Hugs in love, Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, The Little Engine That Could! I loved reading that book to the boys when they were little! Of course you can! You're a woman! I have faith, now if we just stop having those long discussions where we find out "how" things need to be done til after the fact, we would be further along! LOL!

    Ok..off to full steam ahead!

    D

    ReplyDelete