.

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Thanksgiving or Christmas Cactus?

Almost 30 years ago, my sister-in-law Jennifer gave my a tiny Christmas cactus with about 4 or 5 blooms. I remember that it was that long ago because Jen was expecting my nephew Nicolaus who will be 30 in March. This is the same plant. I put it outside every spring and let it spend the summer on my porch. It was much larger than it is now, but one morning on my way to the shop I noticed branches from the plant scattered all over the yard. The squirrels must have had quite a party pulling the branches off. I leave it outside until I hear the words "frost warning". Within a week this wonderful old plant just bursts into bloom, but it is always finished its show before Christmas.




3 comments:

  1. I had almost the same experience...I didn't check my cactus and when it was time to bring it in...some critter had chewed it up. It was beautiful before this...now I have a new one.
    Balisha

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! You didn't tell me you were setting up in Liberty school, I'd have run over to meet you. Durnnit! Where you going to be next?

    Hope you had a great Tsgiving.

    Come follow me at my new blog as the old one is not long to last, we had major issues with it.

    TTFN ~Marydon (blushingrosetoo.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mine always blooms at Thanksgiving too...now whats up with that????LOL!
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete